OCJ Storytellers Bill of Rights
When sharing or being asked to share my story by Oregon Consumer Justice, I have the right to:
- Choose when, where, how, and if to tell my story based on the request without any negative impact on my relationship with Oregon Consumer Justice staff or participation in Oregon Consumer Justice programming.
- Ask for training and guidance before and after accepting invitations, referrals, etc.
- Ask who the audience is, how the story will be used, and the purpose of having my story told.
- Ask for safety and physical security in an open environment when I speak.
- Answer only questions that I am comfortable with.
- Use discretion to protect me, my loved ones, and our personal information.
- Be recognized and identified as I choose.
- Share any and all aspects of my story.
- Not be expected to represent experiences that are not my own.
- Give my explicit consent for the use of my story.
- Ask for fair compensation.
- Opt-out at any time.
OCJ Storytelling Principles of Trust
When Oregon Consumer Justice asks people to share their stories, we promise to:
- Be transparent about why people are being asked to share their stories, as well as any expectations and goals for their story sharing.
- Assess and share any potential risks or safety concerns in advance.
- Frame stories from a position of strength, not victimization.
- Encourage and promote a wide spectrum of experiences and stories.
- Request prior approval from story sharers before sharing their personal information and stories and before referring to a third party.
- Provide training in public speaking and/or interviews upon request.
- Provide support before, during, and after the story-sharing process.
- Be transparent about when compensation is available and how it is accessed. When compensation is available, it will be at fair rates.
- Respect story sharers’ right to say no or opt-out at any point.
- Stay faithful to our Storytellers Bill of Rights.
Adapted from Storyteller Bill of Rights and Storytelling Principles of Trust published by Immigrants Rising. https://immigrantsrising.org/
Sign Up For Our Newsletter